Gilkes were selected as the preferred supplier for the mini-hydro equipment for the Duru project due to the recent success of the Pungwe project. Strong links exist between the client (Nyangani Renewable Energy) and Gilkes due to previous projects in Malawi. The Project was understood from the very beginning, to be challenging due to the time constraints involved.
During the design stage the technical requirements of the project were managed directly with the Customer by a dedicated project engineer. Due to lack of hydro experience from the client the control philosophy was proposed by Gilkes and accepted by the client prior to any purchasing of equipment.
The poor electrical grid constraints determined the Gilkes equipment to have the ability to run in parallel and island modes. Gilkes offered support in aspects of powerhouse layout and switchyard design to aid civil works. Cable and termination schedules were issued to the client to enable cabling to be conducted immediately after install of the equipment. The turbine offers much needed stability to the electrical grid system to ensure local businesses and homes can always be supplied with electricity.
The turbine was designed, built and pressure tested at the Gilkes factory in the UK before being seafreighted to Biera (Mozambique). The equipment was then carried via road through Mozambique to the Honde valley in Zimbabwe. The mammoth task of transporting the equipment over the mountain to the powerhouse was conducted by the client but supervised by the Gilkes technicians who then conducted the safe and successful installation of the Gilkes equipment.
Scope of Supply
- 1000 P415 Horizontal Twin Jet GILKES Pelton turbine
- Fitted with hydraulic actuators on the spear,valves and deflectors
- 2350kVA – 6000v – 750rpm Synchronous Generator – with flywheel and Lube oil unit MARELLI
- Set of Inlet Pipework – up to the inlet flange of the Bifurcation (Including dismantling joints)
- Main Inlet Valve – DN450- PN50 HYDROBALL VALVE - IMS
- Hydraulic Control Module
- Full Electrical package inc - CPS Turbine Control Panel
- 630A rated 6Kv three section standalone switching panel
- 3000Kva rated 6600/33000v step up transformer
- 110v DC battery panel
- Commissioned January 2013
- Power 2200 kW
- Net Head 332 m
- Flow 750 l/s
- Turbine Type Gilkes P415 TJ Pelton