START YOUR JOURNEY WITH US
Going straight from school to college or university isn’t for everyone. Our apprenticeships give you the freedom to start your career when it suits you, gain valuable qualifications, and earn a great salary at the same time!
Gilkes is a global business with a proud tradition and an excellent future. With us, you’ll work with world-class engineers and professionals who are passionate about what they do, and who are keen to share their skills with the next generation of Gilkes employees.
Our apprenticeship program mixes academic study with practical work and real performance, enabling you to build confidence, gain experience and develop your career in the direction YOU want.
Working with local colleges and universities, we offer Advanced, Higher & Degree Apprenticeships in a number of business areas. Your apprenticeship will be tailored to you to ensure that you are starting at the right level and are able to fulfil your potential.
We see our apprentices as the future of our business. We invest in learning and development programmes to equip you with the skills, knowledge and support you need to reach your full potential.
We're looking for enthusiastic, inquisitive students who want to make a difference. The qualifications you need will depend on what apprenticeship you're interested in:
- Students looking for an Advanced apprenticeship should have, or be expecting, a minimum of 4 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade 4 or above* including Maths, English and Science.
- Students looking for a Higher or Degree apprenticeships should have a BTEC National Certificate / A Levels in a relevant discipline/s.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
- We’ll pay your fees so your hard-earned qualifications will be debt-free
- Competitive salary
- Generous company pension scheme
- On-the-job training delivered by experienced professionals who’ll help you all the way
- Off-the-job training delivered in dedicated in-house training facilities or at our partner colleges or universities
- A great job after completion. Around 95% of our apprentices choose to stay with us and go on to have really successful careers. You can choose to go for promotion and progression or continue learning in the role you’ve moved into.
We usually employ between 2 and 4 apprentices each year, and the types of apprenticeship on offer depends on the needs of our business and the calibre of the candidates. Since 2009 we have recruited 29 apprentices and nearly all of our apprentices go on to secure permanent roles at Gilkes once they finish.
Our advanced apprenticeships usually take two years to complete, and you will gain a BTEC Level 3. Your first year will be spent studying full time, before joining us for hands-on training.
We offer advanced apprenticeships in the following roles:
- Incoming Goods
Our higher apprenticeships take four years to complete and work alongside your studies at Kendal college. Your first year will be spent studying full time, before joining us for hands-on training.
You'll gain a BTEC Level 3 and a relevant HNC.
We offer higher apprenticeships in the following roles:
- CNC Machining
- Pump Assembly
- Hydro Installation
- Electrical Maintenance
- Mechanical Maintenance
Our degree apprenticeships usually take five years to complete. This includes 2 years gaining a HNC followed by a further 3 years earning your degree.
We offer degree apprenticeships in the following roles:
- Mechanical Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Hydraulics Engineer
- Design Engineer
- CFD Engineer
- Production Engineer
The table below gives you an indication of our pay rates for those joining us in 2019
We’re an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all parts of our society. We are happy to discuss any necessary adjustments or arrangements that might help support your application.
We are committed to employee safety and welfare and operate a comprehensive safeguarding process, employee assistance programme and one-to-one help where needed. Our apprentices receive support from managers who are dedicated to helping them make the most of their programme. Many of our employees started their careers as apprentices and, working alongside you, they are passionate about inspiring you to achieve great things.
To be confirmed…