Formed in 1853 in the Lake District, UK, Gilbert Gilkes & Gordon Ltd was initially founded by 3 Williamson brothers from Kendal. They established an agricultural equipment supply company to meet the increasing mechanisation needs of agricultural processes. The original premises were outside the town of Kendal but in 1856 the company moved to its existing location where it has been ever since.
Since the first hydro turbine installation in 1856, Gilkes turbines have generated renewable energy in over 80 countries worldwide. A continual improvement process is adopted company wide and applied not only to the development of hydro turbines; but all other Gilkes product ranges; Industrial Pumps, Water Engineering Solutions and Engine Cooling Pumps. Gilkes pride themselves on delivering appropriate tailor made solutions to their customers.