In October 2011, the Snohomish County Public Utility District opened the first new hydroelectric project in Washington State in nearly 20 years. The $29 million project located south of Sultan generates enough power, on average, for about 2,000 homes.
The Youngs Creek project gives the PUD greater flexibility with its power supply as it's a locally generated, reliable resource that provides energy at times of the year when it is needed the most. Gilkes supplied a complete water to wire solution for the project. the turbine was designed in the UK and completely manufactured from fully CNC machined forging and ancillary equipment as far as possible was designed and sourced in the USA.
- Customer: PUD NO. 1 Snohomish County, Washington
- Location: Southeast of the City of Monroe, Washington USA
- Head: 268m
- Flow: 3.396 m3/s
- Turbine type: 1850 Horizontal Twin Jet Pelton
- Speed: 360rpm
- Turbine power output: 7983kW
- Generator output power: 7775kW