Scope of Supply:
- Francis turbine 500G270
- Hydraulic pressure unit
- Main inlet valve c/w pressure equalising bypass
- Synchronous generator and flywheel 415V/3PH/50HZ, 0.8 PF
- PLC Control, instrumentation, metering and protection panel
- Generator switchgear
- 1000 KVA 415V/11000V step up transformer
- Delivery CIF Mombasa
Installation, commissioning, testing & start up Unilever Tea Kenya Ltd. started as Brooke Bond Kenya. Tom Rutter, then in charge of Brooke Bond in Calcutta,
India, during a hunting safari in Kenya in 1914, realised that the country was ideal for tea growing. Brooke Bond Kenya’s first major tea factory in Kenya was completed at Kerenga in 1927.
Hydroelectricity has played a major role in providing power for the tea production from the outset. Gilkes provided their first turbine-generator units for the estate the year after it was completed in 1928. Three different hydro project locations have been developed over the years with Gilkes supplying a total of seven turbine generator units.
Gilkes installed the Tagabi 2 turbine-generator equipment in an extension to the existing Tagabi project supplied in 1989.
Total Hydro Capacity: 2870 kWBack to all case studies
- Location: Kenya, Africa
- Customer: Unilever Tea Kenya Ltd
- Net Head: 50.8 m
- Flow: 1.875m3/s
- Turbine type: 500 mm dia G270 Francis turbine
- Output power: 856 kW