Scope of Supply:
- 1000 P415 Horizontal Twin Jet GILKES Pelton turbine, fitted with hydraulic actuators on the spear
- Valves and deflectors.
- 2350kVA – 6000v – 750rpm Synchronous Generator – with flywheel and Lube oil unit
- Set of Inlet Pipework – up to the inlet flange of the Bifurcation (Including dismantling joints).
- Main Inlet Valve – DN450- PN50 HYDROBALL VALVE - IMS.
- Hydraulic Control Module.
- Full Electrical package including CPS Turbine Control Panel 630A rated 6Kv three-section standalone switching panel
- 3000Kva rated 6600/33000v step up transformer.
- 110v DC battery panel.
Gilkes were selected as the preferred supplier for the mini-hydro equipment for the Duru project due to the recent success of the Pungwe project. Strong links exist between the client (Nyangani Renewable Energy) and Gilkes due to previous projects in Malawi. The Project was understood from the very beginning, to be challenging due to the time constraints involved. The Gilkes scope of supply included the design and manufacture of the mechanical and electrical equipment, operating and maintenance documentation, installation and commissioning, including commissioning of HV switchgear.
‘We are very pleased we have been able to award this contract to Gilkes and so continue our Zimbabwe relationship that started with the Pungwe. A plant. It will be very exciting if we can get 3 of the 4 turbines up and running before Christmas 2014; and it will be testament to a lot of hard work done timeously and efficiently by your team in Kendal and also out in Zimbabwe.’
Sebastian Hobhouse - Chief Executive - PGI Group Ltd - Upon placing an order for the Pungwe B (16MW) project.
Back to all case studies
- Location: Zimbabwe, Africa
- Customer: Duru Renewable Energy (PVT) LtdNet
- Head: 332 metres
- Flow: 750 litres/sec
- Turbine type: Gilkes P415 TJ Pelton
- Number of Turbines: 1
- Number of Jets: 2
- Power (kW): 2200
- Dia: 1000mm
- Date of Order: 2012
- Date of Commissioning: Jan 2013
- Speed: 750rpm